News

Jailed child porn fiend worried what his mates would say

A ROCKHAMPTON District Court judge has expressed his concern a 24-year-old's family and friends would first hear about his child porn charges "in the paper the next day".

Bradley John Anderson sat in the dock in the Rockhampton District Court yesterday sobbing as his legal representative read out the details of his charges.

Anderson pleaded guilty to one count of possessing child exploitation material - Anderson had 17,673 images ranging from category one (least serious) to category six (most serious).

On May 8 last year Anderson was charged with the serious offence - but he had not told a single person of his offences, including his family, friends and employer.

Anderson's defence barrister Maree Willey said Anderson, 24, did not tell his family because they would be "crushed".

"It (offending) started by (Anderson) logging into an adult site, he followed a link and then searched using 'teen'," Ms Willey said.

"The majority of the images... are category one."

Of the images, 44 were category two, 72 were category three, 70 were category four and 36 were category five.

Category five images include those depicting sadism and beastiality.

The children in the images Anderson had downloaded aged upwards from "approximately ten years old".

Crown Prosecutor Dean Jones said Anderson told police he had been downloading the images for about a year before he was caught.

It was only when Anderson took his laptop in to be repaired that the company fixing it found the images and immediately contacted police.

"It is the sheer volume of images that is the aggravating circumstance in this case," Mr Jones said.

Ms Willey said Anderson, who worked for Telstra as a field technician, was active in the Rockhampton community - playing sport and volunteering.

"Your Honour, we really can't say why he has done what he has done," Ms Willey said.

"He says he is not sure he can continue to live in Rockhampton after today... he is so mortified."

But Judge Michael Burnett was particularly concerned that Anderson had not sought any treatment - or accepted responsibility by telling his friends and family.

"He hasn't been prepared to tell those that will find out... he is living in a state of denial, because it is plainly going to come out," Judge Burnett said.

"The knowledge is going to be crushing... because he has withheld that for 12 months.

"I think as a parent I would be devastated if my child had come to me 12 months after being picked up for an offence like this... and read about it in the paper the next day.

"There are victims in this case that don't even know they are victims."

When sentencing Anderson, Judge Burnett said the images involved varied from selfies to professional-taken photos.

He said Anderson had admitted to police he was saving the images for self gratification purposes.

"Saving the images you found sexually arousing, so you could, quote, 'do your thing' them to," Judge Burnett read from a police report.

Judge Burnett then outlined the contents of some of the images involved, which were "entirely exploitative" in nature.

Anderson was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment, suspended after three months with an operational period of three years.

Topics:  bradley john anderson, child exploitation, child porn, editors picks, pornography




REVEALED: The most common smartphone killer...

Customers try out rose gold iPhone 6s and 6s Plus smartphones at the Apple Store near the West Lake in Hangzhou city, east China's Zhejiang province, 25 September 2015.Apple launched its iPhone 6s or 6s Plus around the world on Friday (25 September 2015). Apple enthusiasts in China can now pick up their pre ordered smartphones at Apple stores. The pre order channel on Apple's official website is accessible for a limited time every day. According to reports, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are expected to break sales records currently held by the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus of last year.

It has claimed nearly 9 million smartphones.

Rocky family receives Australia's biggest hospital pay-out

HEARTBREAK: Jamie Manuele (centre) flanked by his mother Daphne Manuele (left) and partner Cara and son Jesse-James (4) at Rockhampton Hospital.

Man awarded $10 million settlement for damages.

Similar accident occurred years ago where truck crashed

The RACQ CQ Rescue chopper leaves the accident scene bound for Rockhampton Hospital. Photo Andrew Thorpe / Central Telegraph

Neighbour says bridge is narrow and makes drivers nervous

Latest deals and offers


Your Chance to Win

A Holiday to Kingfisher Bay!
Learn More

GIG GUIDE: Gigs across CQ in the coming weeks

A Breach of Silence, the band.

Lots of live music gigs set for Central Queensland stages

Tackling depression through song and story

BUSKER: Brian Musch. Photo: Bec Cawthorne

Giving back through song and speech

Rob Kardashian 'neglected' by Blac Chyna

Friends say they are now 'back in love'

Isla Fisher: I don't like talking about my private life

Isla Fisher shut down TV hosts when they asked about her husband

Mariah Carey: I 'can't believe' Prince has gone

'Prince was one of the best people I've met'

Joe Jonas' 'tough' pals

Joe Jonas' pals are 'tough' with his potential partners

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Iconic Denison St building sold for close to $1M

The Swan Hotel building in Denison St.

ONE of Rockhampton’s most iconic buildings has been sold

Unique Rockhampton bar hits the market

HOT PROPERTY: Cuban themed bar Chango Chango is up for sale.

Popular Rocky bar hits the market.

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd