Lifestyle

Board’s actions ‘premature’ handling Dr Vega Vega case

DR MICHAEL Donohue says the Central Queensland Hospital and Health Board acted "prematurely and inappropriately" in its handling of the Dr Antonio Vega Vega situation.

The CQ Local Medical Association chairman on Wednesday said that the dismissal of three senior staff from the Rockhampton Hospital would create recruitment issues for the region.

"Fair enough to stand them down but they shouldn't have been named, shamed and sacked until the findings were known," he said.

"Who is going to come to work in Rockhampton if there is a perception that if something goes wrong you will be sacked without adequate investigation?"

Dr Vega Vega, who performed more than 1000 surgical procedures at Rockhampton Hospital, was stood down from his role at on April 29 after allegedly botching four surgeries.

This also led to the dismissal of a senior medical administrator and the hospital's head surgeon.

Dr Donohue and fellow association executive members DrRichard Shepherd and Dr Harley Wilson co-wrote a letter to The Morning Bulletin.

They have gone as far as to suggest the Central Queensland Health and Hospital Board should resign if the judicial findings do not support their actions.

"In this situation involving the dismissal of three senior medical staff prior to the findings of independent investigations, the board acted prematurely and inappropriately," they wrote.

"Should the judicial findings not support their actions we would expect that they resign.

"Little has been made public regarding the facts leading to recent dismissals and it would be inappropriate to comment other than hope that at least the two sides be made available.

"We assume that reasonable proof of guilt rather than innuendo would be a basic precursor to the dismissal of three senior staff by the board."

CQHHB chairman Charles Ware could not respond to the doctors' comments yesterday. He has previously said that the two senior clinicians involved in the case were on temporary contracts, and were not permanent employees.

He said the contracts of temporary staff did not allow for temporary suspension, therefore the only course of action available to the board was the termination of those contracts.

Topics:  dr antonio vega vega, editors picks, rockhampton regional council




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Doblo: It’s too dam small

THE GAP: Dominic Doblo and Sir Graham McCamley announce plans for The Gap dam on the Fitzroy River in 2014.

Doblo doesn’t believe Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s promise.

A crash course to fix roads

Regional road upgrades could save lives.

WHAT'S ON: Your guide to what's happening in CQ this weekend

Wuthering Heights

From food festivals to expos, there's plenty on in CQ this weekend

Latest deals and offers

CQ Mega Expo

CQ mega Lifestyle Expo. Manager of Guardian Trailers Mark Trail. Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

CQ Mega Expo

Barnaby Joyce talks Johnny Depp's dogs in Tweed

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce talks about Johnny Depp's dogs Pistol and Boo...

Billy Slater talks Origin Team

Queensland Origin great Billy Slater.

Queensland Origin great Billy Slater talks about this years team and his return to...

Own Sunshine Coast property? You’re about to make money

UP AND UP: Property owners are likely to win from rent and price increases but tenants and first home buyers might not be so happy. Photo: Brett Wortman / Sunshine Coast Daily

Good new for property owners, not so good for buyers and tenants.

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked