News

‘Doctors, ED safe’

The fight to keep Moura hospital open continues.
The fight to keep Moura hospital open continues.

DEPUTY Premier Jeff Seeney has confirmed no decision had been made in regards to the downgrade in services and possible closure of Moura Hospital.

"That is a decision for the board (Central Queensland Hospital and Health Board) to make," Mr Seeney said.

Cutting services, such as 24-hour medical emergency, was never under consideration, he said.

But the hospital's residential service was in need of review.

"To have 20 staff to an average of one patient a night - nobody could say that could continue indefinitely," he said.

"Something had to be done."

Mr Seeney said community advocate Jim Pearce and unions were making it difficult to organise community consultation.

"It is almost impossible to have community consultation with the unions and Jim Pearce stirring up scare campaigns."

"He is, in fact, a self-anointed expert funded by the trade unions to stir up trouble, but he cannot escape the legacy he and his former government have left.

"We will ensure that the two doctors' positions remain in Moura and, importantly, we will ensure there is always a 24-hour medical emergency response capacity available to community members."

Community advocate Jim Pearce said Mr Seeney had to stop blaming other people for the problem.

"Mr Seeney needs to realise he is in government now and he needs to stop blaming everyone else," Mr Pearce said.

"I sat in parliament for over a decade and every day he did what he has been accusing me of."

Mr Pearce said the CQHHB did not have a Moura representative.

"People on the board are focused on other areas."

The board will attend a community meeting on the future direction of health services in Moura at Kianga Memorial Hall from 7pm on Thursday, January 17.

Topics:  hospital, moura




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'All I heard when my baby cried was ‘you’re a terrible mum'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images of Katie Dykes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

KATIE'S battle with PND is not unlike many mothers.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Blake narrowly avoids terror

Blake Portch on his holiday, which was almost cut short by the terror attacks on Istanbul this week

Blake Portch knew luck was on his side

Coalition is ‘shooting from the hip’ with CQUni funds

Incumbent LNP member for Flynn Ken O’Dowd with CQUni’s vice chancellor professor Scott Bowman and associate professor Owen Niven.

The $10 million funding from LNP two days before the election.

Latest deals and offers

Stockland Terrace - oficial opening

Stockland Commercial Property CEO, John Schroder talks at the official opening of...

Farmers protest land clearing laws

Farmers from across Central Queensland gathered in Rockhampton to express their...

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward