News

“I don’t care if I kill you,” man told girlfriend in attack

HE told her he loved her, he told her he was sorry - he lied.

Hours later the 23-year-old man stood over his unconscious girlfriend, a piece of firewood in his hand, bloodied and still burning.

It sounds like a horror movie, but this was very real and took place right here in Central Queensland.

When the woman woke, the brutal attack continued.

"I don't care if I kill you," the man told her as he kicked her.

Amidst punches and stomping on her head, the man threatened to tie the woman to a tree and cut off her toes. She was terrified.

This lasted for four hours, until finally the woman was able to escape. Sadly, she is not alone.

The case, which was heard in the Rockhampton District Court last week, is a serious example of the Capricornia region's growing domestic violence problem.

The defendant, who cannot be named, pleaded guilty to deprivation of liberty, two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and contravening a protection order.

He also pleaded guilty to assaulting his partner's children - one of which was a three-year-old girl - on a separate occasion.

Crown prosecutor Russell Hood told the court the man had a history of violence.

SEEK HELP

DVConnect Womensline: 1800 811 811

DVConnect Mensline: 1800 600 636

1800RESPECT

Lifeline: 13 11 14

beyondblue: 1300 22 4636

Kids Helpline (for Australian children and young people aged between 5 to 25 years): 1800 55 1800

He said while the man admitted his guilt to police, he had downplayed the seriousness of all three assaults.

On the night of the attack, which occurred in Woorabinda last September, the man dragged his girlfriend away from a 21st party.

He then forced her to change into his brother's clothes and get on his horse, before riding to a secluded campsite in the bush.

The next morning, battered and bruised, the woman took the horse and rode to the hospital while her partner of eight months was sleeping. Fortunately, her injuries were not serious.

Defence barrister Ross LoMonaco said his client had a problem with anger management. He said the man was remorseful and the pair is no longer together.

Judge Paul Smith said there was no doubt the incident would have had a significant effect on the woman physically and emotionally.

"You need to learn how to respect women," he said.

He sentenced the man to six years jail, eligible for parole on September 17 next year. This takes into account the year he has already served.

Topics:  assault, domestic violence, firewood, rockhampton district court




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'All I heard when my baby cried was ‘you’re a terrible mum'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images of Katie Dykes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

KATIE'S battle with PND is not unlike many mothers.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Rockhampton volunteers putting the 'party' in politics

Volunteers Leonie Short and Robyn Bauer at the Mt Archer School polling centre.

No bad blood between Rocky polling booth volunteers

Mohid for "president" of Capricornia

Nine-year-old Mohid Khalil shares what he would do if he were Capricornia MP for the day.Photo Chloe Lyons / The Morning Bulletin

WATCH: Voters share what they would do as Capricornia MP for the day

Sitting Capricornia MP Michelle Landry casts her vote

Sitting Capricornia MP Michelle Landry casts her vote this morning at the Rockhampton Baptist Church polling booth.Photo Amber Hooker / The Morning Bulletin

Ms Landry casts her vote, election now 'out of her hands'

Latest deals and offers

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward