News

Driver 'stopped six times in five hours' before fatal crash

The crash occurred at Greta Creek, north of Proserpine.
The crash occurred at Greta Creek, north of Proserpine. Kia Taylor

A PROSECUTOR said that a man stopping for six breaks in just over five hours indicated he had been "very tired" before crashing the car and killing two passengers.

Townsville man Shane Anthony Singho had pleaded not guilty to dangerous driving causing death in the District Court in Mackay.

Singho has made admissions that he was driving a silver Kia Rio when it drove off the Bruce Highway in February 2013 and crashed into Greta Creek.

Sandra Clay and four-year-old Jakob French were killed in the crash.

In closing this morning, Crown prosecutor Susan Hedge said at the time of the crash, Singho would have been "on the road" for 16 hours since departing Maryborough, with just a four-hour break in Rockhampton. He didn't drive on the leg from Maryborough to Rockhampton but he still would have been tired.

From leaving Rockhampton on the night of February 9, 2013 to crashing north of Proserpine at 7am the next morning, Ms Hedge said Singho had stopped six times in what was a five hour and ten minute drive.

Ms Hedge said Singho had been "very tired" but had "decided he'd push through and hope for the best".

Defence barrister Phillip Rutledge said that in fact Singho had been "cautious" about his driving, which is why he had stopped when he was tired.

He said Singho had regularly travelled along the highway over the years. He had an "honest and reasonable" belief that he wouldn't fall asleep.

During the trial, a Japanese couple who had driven behind Singho in the minutes before the crash said he had been slowing up and speeding down and "weaving" from side to side.

Mr Rutledge said that the couple hadn't recognised "controlled" driving and that Singho had been avoiding wallabies and kangaroos on the road.

Ms Hedge said that was an "excuse" for the weaving, and that if there had been so many animals "close to the road" and "moving around", the Japanese couple would have seen them.

The jury has been sent out to deliberate.

Topics:  crime, dangerous driving causing death, district court in mackay, trial



UPDATE: Two teens charged for Park Av attempted break-in

CCTV footage shows several people attempting to break in to the Park Avenue Snack Bar about 12.20am Monday.

WATCH: CCTV footage captures teens smashing Snack Bar door

Indecent treatment trial starts

Rockhampton Courthouse

A man has pleaded not-guilty to indecent treatment of his step-child

What were the screams coming from CQU today?

Mass casualty exercise at CQUniversity.

QPS personnel attended the site

Local Partners

Why Chris Hemsworth was spotted wearing nail polish

RED CARPET: Do you think Chris Hemsworth is the typical unpolished but well-natured Aussie bloke?

He's now officially the best bloke in Australia

Rocky venue to exclusively screen global movie festival

WORLD PREMIER: The Walter Reid Cultural Centre is one of eight Australian venues to host the World's First Global Film Festival.

Local movie lovers to judge the World's First Global Film Fest

Testament's new album is a concept album

ROME, ITALY- JULY 27, 2016: Testament photographed at The Roman Collisseium in Rome, Italy on July 27,2016. Gene Ambo

Testament to release new album

'Baby' recreates famous Nirvana cover shot 25 years later

The baby from Nevermind album has recreated the iconic cover shot.

PREVIEW: Luke Cage origin story is a strong addition to MCU

Mike Colter in a scene from the TV series Marvel's Luke Cage.

MIKE Colter stars as latest Marvel superhero to get his own series.

Kate goes down fighting in heated Survivor elimination

Australian Survivor contestant Kate Campbell.

YOGA teacher's 'good guys' alliance fails to get off the ground.

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Projects hoped to revive Rockhampton real estate

There have been just over 800 house sales in Rockhampton this year

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

14% of renovators doing own electrical work?

Landscaping (46%), demolition (43%) and interior design (77%) are also often tackled head on by plucky homeowners.

And 12% said they did their own plumbing work