News

Dad dobs in druggie son

WHEN Bradley John Hansen's father discovered signs his son was cooking up drugs, he called the police.

Hansen, 42, had been living on his father's property at Calliope in August 2009 when his father paid a visit and noticed the strong scent of chemicals.

He confronted his son and told him to leave the property, but when he returned on August 23, nothing had changed.

He went into the house and discovered a chemistry set, syringes, jars containing crystal substances and several other items used in the production of methamphetamines.

He destroyed some of the property and put some of it in bins before calling the police and showing them where he had put it all.

No charges were laid and on January 18 the father returned to the property to make a similar discovery and again contacted police.

This time police found enough equipment, some with traces of methamphetamines on them, to charge Hansen with producing the drug.

Hansen pleaded guilty to two counts of producing a dangerous drug in the Supreme Court in Rockhampton last month, the day his case was set to go to trial.

Crown prosecutor Roger Griffith described the meth lab as "fairly makeshift" and said police couldn't prove he was producing the drug for anything more than personal use.

Defence barrister Ross Lo Monaco said Hansen had experimented with drugs in his teens and got to the point of being addicted when he was living in Brisbane in his early twenties.

Mr Lo Monaco said Hansen was at his worst in his mid to late twenties when he would inject up to 14 grams a day.

He said Hansen had cut back his drug use a "hell of a lot" and was trying to quit entirely.

Hansen was also on a suspended sentence for another offence at the time the charges were laid.

Justice McMeekin noted Hansen's past and said he was doubtful about his chances of getting his life on track.

"Whether you can be rehabilitated or not, I don't know, but I doubt it," Justice McMeekin said.

He invoked the 12-month suspended sentence Hansen was on and sentenced him to a further three years imprisonment to be served concurrently.

He set a parole eligibility date of February 22, 2013.

Topics:  drugs, meth, methamphetamines, meth lab, rockhampton courthouse




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

'I apologise every day that I am not the person he married'

My battle with postnatal depression...

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Veteran: 'I would have killed myself if not for my dog'

A man and his dog on the road for PTSD

Farmers rally in Rocky to protest again land clearing laws

Mark Collins at a protest held Kershaw Gardens by farmers across the Central Queensland region in response to State Government vegetation clearing laws. Photo: Chris Ison / The Morning Bulletin

Farmers gather at Kershaw Gardens in Rockhampton in protest.

Breaking: Ninth case of black lung is confirmed

Section of a coal worker's lung showing black lung disease with progressive massive fibrosis.Contributed

A 62-year-old underground miner has been diagnosed with black lung.

Latest deals and offers

Stockland Terrace - oficial opening

Stockland Commercial Property CEO, John Schroder talks at the official opening of...

Farmers protest land clearing laws

Farmers from across Central Queensland gathered in Rockhampton to express their...

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward