News

Final glimmer of hope gone for CQ's Burrows family

TERRIBLE LOSS: Mary and Rodney Burrows were among 239 people on the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.
TERRIBLE LOSS: Mary and Rodney Burrows were among 239 people on the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines flight MH370. QLD POLICE

IT'S a grieving mother's last wish for her beloved first-born.

"I can only hope that whatever happened it was very quick and they didn't know."

The heartbreaking message comes from Irene Burrows, whose eldest son Rodney and his wife Mary were aboard the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

The final glimmer of hope for Irene and husband George was extinguished when Malaysian Prime Minister Najiv Razak announced the fate of the plane in the early hours of yesterday morning.

"It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you that, according to this new data, Flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean."

The poignant statement brought to an end one chapter of an aviation mystery that had baffled authorities for more than two weeks.

Rodney and Mary were headed for a three-week holiday in China when they boarded the flight bound for Beijing on March 8.

They were set to return to their Brisbane home early next month to be greeted by their first grandchild.

Speaking from her Biloela home, Irene found it hard to muster too many words but it was clear that she drew comfort from the fact that Rodney and Mary were together.

SAD CALL: Irene Burrows received the tragic news when a reporter rang from New York.
SAD CALL: Irene Burrows received the tragic news when a reporter rang from New York.

"I haven't really had time to think too much about it," she said yesterday morning. "The family is coping as best they can."

Irene had been watching the latest developments on television until she went to bed about 10pm on Monday.

A phone call after midnight stirred her from her restless sleep.

It was a reporter from New York, who broke the devastating news and wanted a comment.

The comforting voice of her daughter Kaylene came in a call just minutes later.

Irene said she was unsure if any family members would travel to Perth to be closer to the search site.

Rodney's sister-in-law Sandra Burrows said the family had been overwhelmed by the messages of support from all quarters, even from strangers, during the 17-day ordeal.

"I take my hat off to everyone who has been taking part in the search. They have been incredible," she said.

"We had suspected this and our worst fears have been confirmed but it will at last give us some closure."

Topics:  burrows, malaysian airlines, mh370




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'I apologise every day that I am not the person he married'

My battle with postnatal depression...

'My husband lasted 6 weeks as a stay at home dad'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images. Katie Dykes being interviewed for the webisodes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

FROM the outside, being a stay at home mum looks like a breeze.

THE EXPERT: Stop judging working mothers

SUPER MUMS: Being a working mums comes down to perfecting time management.

"WORKING for money is all right; so is working because you want to.”

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

One man, 19 charges in court after Mount Morgan raids

Mount Morgan man remanded in custody in Rockhampton Magistrates Court

What can go wrong when you love your dog too much

Callan Joseph Dellow should have left his ute at the pub

World Cup winning Rocky trio ready for the 2016 Rio Games

Jamie Dwyer, Mark Knowles and Matt Gohdes with the Hockey World Cup.

Knowles, Dwyer and Gohdes all in for Australia

Latest deals and offers

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward