Business

JBS Dinmore crisis as worker hours cut to the bone

THE situation for staff of one of Ipswich's biggest employers is going from bad to worse.

JBS Australia Dinmore continue to cut workers' hours to the bone.

A day shift worker said staff were told yesterday the plant would close at Christmas for four weeks, and each shift will be stood down for an extra week in January, 'due to a lack of cattle'.

The worker, who requested anonymity, said the night shift worked four hours last Thursday, and would not return to work until September 27.

"Day shift will finish by 2pm tomorrow, and then there is no work until Tuesday October 4," the worker said.

"Our agreed work week is 40 hours, we had one two weeks ago, this is the second time since August we have lost a full week's work, for both day and night shift.

"We have been stood down one or two days per week since last year."

JBS Meatworks and abattoir at Dinmore. Beef cattle processing and kill floor.
JBS Meatworks and abattoir at Dinmore. Beef cattle processing and kill floor. Inga Williams

With approximately 500 people per shift, this represents a big hit to the Ipswich economy.

Compounding the tough times for JBS workers, the company has refused to negotiate on a new Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA), despite the previous agreement expiring in December 2015.

When the worker was asked on whether any progress was made, they laughed, saying 'No, not at all'.

"We are being unreasonable, because we won't accept their pathetic offer.

"The union is negotiating on our behalf, they are doing what we ask, we stand to lose $10-15,000 in the first year, we need a significant result."

The worker said floor staff were told yesterday of the company's plans to shut the plant for four weeks at Christmas, with day shift returning for one week, before being stood down for a week, while the night shift staff would be stood down for five weeks, before they return for one week's work.

"How can they say in September there will be no cattle in January?"

JBS Australia Director of Corporate and Regulatory, John Berry, said the company had no comment to make on the progress of the EBA negotiations, or what was preventing an agreement being reached. "No comment, it is an ongoing issue," Mr Berry said.

Mr Berry was also less than forthcoming when asked about the Christmas shutdown.

Topics:  jbs dinmore, job losses, workers



Man caught with knife on riverbank

A man alleged a knife found in his backpack was for cutting food.

Stolen money spent on groceries and rent

Rockhampton Court

A woman who stole thousands from her employer has been heavily fined

Local Partners

Our veterans recognised

YEPPOON'S oldest serving war veterans filled the room at the Yeppoon RSL last week where they were recognised for their long service to the RSL League.


Your chance to win

$1000 TOY VOUCHER
Learn More

Cliff Richard to release 101st album

Sir Cliff Richard's album cover

Sir Cliff Richard is to release his 101st album

CMC Rocks faces fan backlash over date change, headliners

The 10th annual CMC Rocks festival will be headlined by The Dixie Chicks.

FANS are not happy about festival being pushed back by two weeks.

Kim Kardashian West attacked by man trying to kiss her bottom

Vitalii Sediuk targeted Gigi Hadid last week

Madonna poses naked in solidarity with Katy Perry

Madonna posted her own nude selfie on Instagram

Carlos Santana added to Bluesfest 2017 line up

Carlos Santana at Bluesfest 2013.

Calling all local black magic women

Disney to remake 'The Lion King', and it's live-action

The Lion King is coming back to movie theatres

And this time it's going to be live-action.

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Projects hoped to revive Rockhampton real estate

There have been just over 800 house sales in Rockhampton this year

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

14% of renovators doing own electrical work?

Landscaping (46%), demolition (43%) and interior design (77%) are also often tackled head on by plucky homeowners.

And 12% said they did their own plumbing work