Entertainment

Liam Neeson eyes $20m deal to star in Taken 3

Liam Neeson in a scene from the movie Taken 2.
Liam Neeson in a scene from the movie Taken 2. Contributed by Picselect

LIAM Neeson is close to agreeing a $20 million deal to star in Taken 3, according to reports.

Taken 2, released last year, received a critical drubbing, but the Oscar-nominated actor is said to be close to a deal for a second sequel that will make him one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood.

According to Deadline, Neeson was a "reluctant participant" in Taken 2 but was nevertheless persuaded by a $15 million payment.

In the Taken franchise, Neeson stars as former CIA operative Bryan Mills.

The first film, released in 2009, sees his daughter kidnapped in Paris and sold into sex slavery, while in the sequel Mills himself becomes the kidnap victim.

Taken nabbed $226 million at the box office on a relatively small budget of $25 million.

Its sequel cost $45 million but reaped $376 million for 20 Century Fox.

But reviewers who had shown enthusiasm for the original turned their backs on the sequel.

"Foreigners bad, Americans good, box office busy," said the New York Times last year.

>>More Movie News

Empire noted: "Neeson is still the redeeming feature. He commits to lines such as, 'When a dog has a bone, the last thing you should try to do is take it from him,' as if it's Chekhov."

The Independent's Anthony Quinn wrote: "It's as preposterous as the first movie, with Neeson's humourless hardnut exhibiting the muscle and reflexes of a man half his age (he's 60)."

Luc Besson, the writer responsible for both films, was initially sceptical about a second sequel.

"The story's very good," he told Den of Geek about Taken 2.

"But we won't have a third one. We'll have a second one, because it's almost a continuation of the first movie.

"You could even take one and two together, in a way, and that works.

"But I don't think we'll go like Transporter, for example, with two, three and four. We'll stop at the two."

Topics:  hollywood, liam neeson, movies



Rebranding Rocky to be a hub of all hubs

Rockhampton mayor Margaret Strelow and councillor Tony Williams greets Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk before taking her on a tour around the Local Disaster Coordination Centre in Rockhampton following Cyclone Marcia.

Should we start calling Rockhampton the hub capital?

Undercover operation busts dealer

A man caught selling weed to a cop alleged it was his first time.

Hairess Boutique salon was 'meant to be'

Jenna Sivewright and her daughter Mila Gilbert, 2, are excited to open the doors to Hairess Boutique on Denham St, Rockhampton today, Wednesday, September 28.Photo Amber Hooker / The Morning Bulletin

WATCH: Jenna Sivewright welcomes clientele new and old to salon

Local Partners

MOVIE REVIEW: Storks delivers family fun

A scene from the movie Storks.

ANIMATION can be hit or miss but when it hits, it hits hard.

Nick 'the snake' to call the shots on Survivor jury

Australian Survivor contestant Nick Iadanza.

LATEST evictee is out of the game but will still have a say.

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber split

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber have split after 11 years together.

Why Chris Hemsworth was spotted wearing nail polish

RED CARPET: Do you think Chris Hemsworth is the typical unpolished but well-natured Aussie bloke?

He's now officially the best bloke in Australia

Rocky venue to exclusively screen global movie festival

WORLD PREMIER: The Walter Reid Cultural Centre is one of eight Australian venues to host the World's First Global Film Festival.

Local movie lovers to judge the World's First Global Film Fest

Testament's new album is a concept album

ROME, ITALY- JULY 27, 2016: Testament photographed at The Roman Collisseium in Rome, Italy on July 27,2016. Gene Ambo

Testament to release new album

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Projects hoped to revive Rockhampton real estate

There have been just over 800 house sales in Rockhampton this year

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

14% of renovators doing own electrical work?

Landscaping (46%), demolition (43%) and interior design (77%) are also often tackled head on by plucky homeowners.

And 12% said they did their own plumbing work