News

State stands up to pressure from mines over stored water

THE state government says it will continue to protect water quality in the Fitzroy basin despite mounting pressure from mining companies wanting to discharge more water.

At an estimates meeting last Friday, the minister for Environment and Heritage Protection Andrew Powell revealed he had been approached by mining companies wanting approval to discharge, on a daily basis.

"Water in mines is an issue that has been raised consistently. I have mining companies coming to my office, to my director-general's office and to my staff on a daily basis around a number of conditions but particularly around the conditions imposed upon them in terms of discharging of water from the mines," he said.

He said flooding rains over the past few years had resulted in some mines having their production affected by more than 280,000 megalitres of water retained in various mine sites around the state.

That figure is equivalent to half the capacity of Sydney harbour.

"There are 16 coalmines with some 280,000 megalitres of water in total that is preventing them from operating at their full capacity," he said.

"This so-called legacy water is a cost to industry in lost revenue to the state. A responsible government like this one will explore ways to optimise the controlled release of this water whilst, and I stress 'whilst', ensuring that the local waterways and public health and safety are not put at risk."

Mr Powell said the most recent figures on water discharge showed that, since February, 6.7 million megalitres of water had flowed past Rockhampton and only 33,500 megalitres of this total was sourced from coalmine releases.

"In short, mine releases since February have been 0.5% of all water flowing past Rockhampton," he said.

He said his department would continue to work with mines across the Fitzroy Basin to ensure mine water releases were done in accordance with approved conditions and water quality was not adversely impacted.

The Morning Bulletin attempted to contact the Queensland Resources Council for a comment, but it was unable to respond by the time of print.

Topics:  andrew powell, fitzroy basin, mining, water releases




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Having battled PND four times, Mel says the secret is sleep

'I just thought, don’t all mothers get no sleep?’

'My husband lasted 6 weeks as a stay at home dad'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images. Katie Dykes being interviewed for the webisodes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

FROM the outside, being a stay at home mum looks like a breeze.

THE EXPERT: Stop judging working mothers

SUPER MUMS: Being a working mums comes down to perfecting time management.

"WORKING for money is all right; so is working because you want to.”

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Veteran: 'I would have killed myself if not for my dog'

A man and his dog on the road for PTSD

Farmers rally in Rocky to protest again land clearing laws

Mark Collins at a protest held Kershaw Gardens by farmers across the Central Queensland region in response to State Government vegetation clearing laws. Photo: Chris Ison / The Morning Bulletin

Farmers gather at Kershaw Gardens in Rockhampton in protest.

Breaking: Ninth case of black lung is confirmed

Section of a coal worker's lung showing black lung disease with progressive massive fibrosis.Contributed

A 62-year-old underground miner has been diagnosed with black lung.

Latest deals and offers

Stockland Terrace - oficial opening

Stockland Commercial Property CEO, John Schroder talks at the official opening of...

Farmers protest land clearing laws

Farmers from across Central Queensland gathered in Rockhampton to express their...

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward