CASHED-UP Central Queensland miners are joining the thousands of party-goers hitting Rockhampton's nightclub scene each weekend, pouring millions into the city's economy each year.
Authorities say between 1500 and 2000 people will spend about $150 each in the nightclub precinct tonight, that's on top of the 1000 clubbers who partied last night.
Conservatively estimating, clubbers are splashing out more than $20 million a year to have a good time.
At the recently opened Studio 2, manager Anna Austin is gearing up for another big night.
Tonight the club hosts Australian pop icon Timomatic.
"We've only been open three weeks, but it has been great," Anna said yesterday afternoon.
"We've had a great reception.
"It's hard to say where people are coming from, we're really getting a good mix."
Other operators yesterday said miners were part of an evolving picture.
The Morning Bulletin was told one miner had splashed a whopping $3000 in one night in an adult bar.
While a closed sign went up at the doors of the Republik yesterday, which industry insiders say is for renovations, other venues, such as a new sports bar, will add to the mix.
It's hard to provide a definitive figure of how much people are spending, but when The Morning Bulletin spoke to young revellers yesterday there weren't too many who didn't splash out $100 or more on a night out, and many were in the several hundreds.
Rockhampton police Liquor Enforcement and Proactive Strategies Sergeant Paul Bennett yesterday said recent initiatives were helping make the nightclub precinct a safer place.
Sgt Bennett said there were 32 CCTV cameras in the CBD which were monitored by both security and police.
SAFE NIGHT TIPS
- If you plan to drive home after a night out, don't drink
- Plan ahead and determine how many drinks you will have and stick to the plan.
- Don't drink to a level where you are no longer in control
- Eat before and during drinking to slow the absorption of alcohol into your bloodstream (avoid salty foods).
- Alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Avoid shouts, and drink at your own pace
- Get involved in other activities, e.g. dancing or playing pool