Lifestyle

Dr Vega Vega fronts QCAT proceedings about kidney operation

Dr Antonio Vega Vega was stood down last week.
Dr Antonio Vega Vega was stood down last week.

A ROCKHAMPTON doctor accused of botching a surgery has argued he consulted widely before undertaking the complex procedure.

Antonio Vega Vega said he had often referred matters to other specialists or transferred matters to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, where he had visiting rights, if required.

He told the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal that he would do that if he did not believe the Rockhampton hospital had sufficient infrastructure to deal with highly complex cases, or if he needed support.

But the Spanish-trained doctor defended his decision to treat a patient with kidney problems at Rockhampton that has landed him before the tribunal.

"No one raised any concern that this operation was above the competencies of myself or Rockhampton," he said.

"I proceed to do the operation."

Dr Vega Vega is allowed to practise again after the Queensland Medical Board revoked a suspension on Friday, but a supervision condition was imposed.

QCAT, which has reserved its decision until Friday, is reviewing the board's suspension, its refusal to accept Dr Vega Vega's decision to withdraw a self-imposed undertaking not to practise and the imposed condition.

The doctor testified the surgery, usually two to four hours, blew out to seven hours, because of bleeding complications.

He said he, nor any of the colleagues he consulted, had foreseen that the kidneys could have shifted place because of other health difficulties for that patient.

Dr Vega Vega said the kidney he removed was infected.

It had more adhesions than expected, so he had no idea he had removed the wrong kidney.

Other doctors submitted their views to QCAT, with most supporting Dr Vega Vega, but one disagreed.

Barrister Chris Wilson said the medical board believed there should be supervised consultation for a set period.

He noted this kidney surgery was one of five treatment complaints.

"He did make that error," he said.

"Now he wouldn't do it, but he did it in January.

"There's a high degree of probability that other complex procedures will present to Dr Vega Vega.

"In those limited cases, it is appropriate to protect these patients with those conditions he be required to consult with a senior colleague."

Barrister Stephen Keim, acting for Dr Vega Vega, said Rockhampton was a small place and yet many people had thrown their support behind his client.

"He's got a good record in terms of low complications."

Topics:  dr antonio vega vega, queensland civil and administrative tribunal, rockhampton hospital




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'All I heard when my baby cried was ‘you’re a terrible mum'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images of Katie Dykes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

KATIE'S battle with PND is not unlike many mothers.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Ken gets an ace for committees

Federal member for Flynn Ken O’Dowd is campaigning for a third term. Photo Paul Braven / The Observer

Flynn MP one of the top 20 in the country

Queensland man narrowly escapes Turkey airport terror

Blake Portch on his holiday, which was almost cut short by the terror attacks on Istanbul this week

Blake Portch knew luck was on his side

Can reduced drinking hours save everyone?

Drunken revellers will be able to use rest and recovery centres under the new laws.

Man could be banned from Rocky CBD for three years

Latest deals and offers

Stockland Terrace - oficial opening

Stockland Commercial Property CEO, John Schroder talks at the official opening of...

Farmers protest land clearing laws

Farmers from across Central Queensland gathered in Rockhampton to express their...

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward