News

Queensland 'should stop circulating incorrect information'

A STOUSH has erupted between the Federal Government and the Queensland Government over a subsidy which helps child care centres care for young disabled children.

State Education Minister John-Paul Langbroek yesterday attacked the Gillard Government, saying it had withdrawn funding for the subsidy, which helps disabled children attend child care.

But Federal Early Childhood Minister Kate Ellis hit back, saying Mr Langbroek did not understand the federal-state agreement, which meant the state was supposed to fund all kindergarten education.

The stoush comes after confusion in the State's child care sector over the Federal Government's inclusion support subsidy.

Under the subsidy, child care centres are funded to employ an extra staff member to help look after young disabled children, but once the child turns three and a half, the subsidy ends.

From that age on, the child's early childhood education becomes a state responsibility under the kindergarten system, rather than long day care centres.

Mr Langbroek said Queensland day care centres had just found out funding for the subsidy was cut just before Christmas, leaving some children in limbo.

"I've had day care services tell me that in 2013 they will have to turn away children with high needs from their kindergarten program without the necessary funding provided by the subsidy," he said.

"This is either exceptionally poor policy or a callous attempt by the Gillard Government to shift its responsibility for day care and early childhood onto the states and territories."

But Ms Ellis said he was wrong, and should stop circulating the incorrect information to child care centres in Queensland.

"This is completely untrue. Let me be very clear - we have not changed the program guidelines and we have not cut funding," she said.

"It has always been the responsibility of state governments to provide inclusion support for kindergarten and this has not changed in any way.

"The Queensland Government should stop trying to shirk its responsibility and support the Queensland families who need it the most."

While the subsidy and the agreement between both governments had not changed since 2006, it is understood the Queensland Government circulated the wrong information to service providers.

It is understood the incorrect information was included in a newsletter to the child care industry late last year.

Correspondence between the Federal Government and subsidy intermediaries - which pass the money on to child care centres - advised all child care centre in Queensland to note nothing had changed.

However, that correspondence also said if a service was currently receiving the subsidy, and was not eligible, the funding should stop immediately, which may have contributed to the confusion.

While the subsidy does not cover kindergarten students, it does cover those children with "additional needs" outside of the hours of any state government-approved kindergarten program.

Topics:  child care, federal government, funding, john-paul langbroek, kate ellis




BYTE ME: Last week of free upgrades

RUNNING OUT: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella speaks at an event demonstrating the new features of Windows 10 at the company's headquarters in Redmond, Washington.

There will be no free upgrades to Windows soon

$1.6 million to new council pound facilities

Katina Kilpatrick

The council has made room in the budget

We love cruising the ocean

P&O; cruise ship Pacific Eden drops anchor off Mooloolaba on Friday, December 17, 2015 Photo Contributed

Queenslander's set sail

Latest deals and offers


Your Chance to Win

A Holiday to Kingfisher Bay!
Learn More

48 HOURS ACROSS THE REGION

BOOTCAMP FUNDRAISER: Gracemere woman Nicole Parlett is fundraising this weekend to trek the Kokoda Trail in September in a bid to raise funds for Beyond Blue and tackle the stigma surrounding mental health.

What's On in CQ region this weekend

What's on the small screen this week

MasterChef Australia's final four contestants, from left, Harry Foster, Elena Duggan, Elise Franciskovic and Matt Sinclair.

MASTERCHEF makes way for The Bachelor on Ten's reality TV slate.

Guy Sebastian a hit at Splendour in the Grass

Guy Sebastian performs at Splendour in the Grass with Paces.

REALITY TV judge a hit with festival crowd.

Superheroes of the big screen enjoy sounds of Splendour

CHRIS Hemsworth and his Avengers mates drop by Byron festival.

Indigenous artist shows tourists secrets of Aboriginal painting

Ever thought "I could do that" about Aboriginal art?

Dynamic pics from Splendour Day 1

The Strokes perform at Splendour in the Grass 2016. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

Check out the latest pictures from Splendour in the Grass.

Bindi Irwin: 18 magic photos to mark her 18th birthday

Bindi Irwin with a python.

Photos: Bindi Irwin from babyhood to 18

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Iconic Denison St building sold for close to $1M

The Swan Hotel building in Denison St.

ONE of Rockhampton’s most iconic buildings has been sold

Unique Rockhampton bar hits the market

HOT PROPERTY: Cuban themed bar Chango Chango is up for sale.

Popular Rocky bar hits the market.

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd