News

Honour for our unsung Fitzroy River hero over 40 years later

Rob Nebe rescued a teenager from the barrage when he was a fire officer back in the 1960s. Photo: Chris Ison / The Morning Bulletin
Rob Nebe rescued a teenager from the barrage when he was a fire officer back in the 1960s. Photo: Chris Ison / The Morning Bulletin Chris Ison

MAYOR Margaret Strelow on Friday gave her support to a push for a commemorative plaque to recognise Rob Nebe's life-saving bravery during a barrage rescue nearly 50 years ago.

While two teenagers tragically died on September 4,1968, Rob's bravery saved a third, Stephen Ward, 17.

This week the family of one of those who died hailed Rob a hero and called for a plaque to be installed at the barrage remembering both those who died, as well as his and another hero's efforts.

Staring into the Fitzroy River's churning waters, Rob Nebe knew a life jacket would not save him if he went under.

As he stood in a recess on the incomplete Fitzroy River Barrage and waited for a harness to be lowered down, he watched a "great wall of water" rush at a capsized boat.

The "awesome" power of the water was so strong it almost held the boat in place.

It was Wednesday, September 4, 1968, and the foaming water beneath the barrage floodway had already claimed the lives of two Rockhampton teenagers when their boat capsized about 4.30pm.

The third, 17-year-old Stephen Ward, had just been hauled to safety over the top of the barrage after standing for an hour in the small recess, which was designed to eventually hold the barrage floodgates.

After the capsize, Stephen had clung to the overturned boat, yelling frantically for help.

Eventually Mrs King, a resident on the north bank of the river, heard what she later described as sounds so faint she almost dismissed them. She notified nearby barrage construction workers, whose loud machinery had drowned out the boy's cries for help.

The workers threw a rope down from the top of the barrage and Stephen used it to climb into the recess.

Although he had been a fireman for less than six months, Rob was chosen for the rescue as the lightest man on the scene.

In his uniform with just a rope, harness and life jacket, Rob was slowly lowered off the barrage. In the recess, he gave the harness to Stephen and waited as the team of police, firemen and civilians hauled the young man to safety.

With the young man's life in the balance, Rob said there had been no time to consider any danger he would face.

"It just all happened so quickly," he said.

In situations like that, Rob said people being rescued would often leap out or try to grab their rescuer, putting both in danger, but Stephen remained level-headed.

"I was amazed how calm he was," Rob said. "He did everything I asked. Perhaps he was in shock, but he just stood in the gate and waited for me to get organised."

The search for the missing teenagers, 17-year-old Anthony Boyd Cook and 15-year-old Timothy Wickham, continued until 11 that night.

The following morning about 8.30, Thursday, September 5, Anthony's body was recovered about 45m downstream from the barrage. On Saturday, September 7, Timothy's body was also recovered.

About a week after the rescue, Stephen's dad brought him to the station to thank Rob for saving his life.

But it was all in the line of duty for Rob, who said he was just doing his job.

"We weren't really trained for that sort of thing," he said. "These days, for something like that you would probably get a medal for bravery.

"It's probably the biggest (rescue) I've done.

"Nothing compared to it."

Topics:  firefighter, fitzroy river, rescue



Rebranding Rocky to be a hub of all hubs

Rockhampton mayor Margaret Strelow and councillor Tony Williams greets Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk before taking her on a tour around the Local Disaster Coordination Centre in Rockhampton following Cyclone Marcia.

Should we start calling Rockhampton the hub capital?

Undercover operation busts dealer

A man caught selling weed to a cop alleged it was his first time.

Hairess Boutique salon was 'meant to be'

Jenna Sivewright and her daughter Mila Gilbert, 2, are excited to open the doors to Hairess Boutique on Denham St, Rockhampton today, Wednesday, September 28.Photo Amber Hooker / The Morning Bulletin

WATCH: Jenna Sivewright welcomes clientele new and old to salon

Local Partners

MOVIE REVIEW: Storks delivers family fun

A scene from the movie Storks.

ANIMATION can be hit or miss but when it hits, it hits hard.

Nick 'the snake' to call the shots on Survivor jury

Australian Survivor contestant Nick Iadanza.

LATEST evictee is out of the game but will still have a say.

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber split

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber have split after 11 years together.

Why Chris Hemsworth was spotted wearing nail polish

RED CARPET: Do you think Chris Hemsworth is the typical unpolished but well-natured Aussie bloke?

He's now officially the best bloke in Australia

Rocky venue to exclusively screen global movie festival

WORLD PREMIER: The Walter Reid Cultural Centre is one of eight Australian venues to host the World's First Global Film Festival.

Local movie lovers to judge the World's First Global Film Fest

Testament's new album is a concept album

ROME, ITALY- JULY 27, 2016: Testament photographed at The Roman Collisseium in Rome, Italy on July 27,2016. Gene Ambo

Testament to release new album

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Projects hoped to revive Rockhampton real estate

There have been just over 800 house sales in Rockhampton this year

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

14% of renovators doing own electrical work?

Landscaping (46%), demolition (43%) and interior design (77%) are also often tackled head on by plucky homeowners.

And 12% said they did their own plumbing work