News

Telstra outage hits millions, telco offers "free data day"

TELSTRA is once again begging for forgiveness from millions of customers after its network failed for "about half" of its users  on Thursday night.

That equated to 8 million Telstra customers.
 

In a statement released on Friday morning, chief Andrew Penn said while the telco couldn't say what caused the outage, it appeared that a huge volume of customers were kicked off the network simultaneously, which then meant their connections were attempting to rejoin the network at the same time.

As penance, Telstra will give customers a "free data day" on Sunday April 3, 2016.

Customers do not need to do anything to access this free data.

They have, however, responded to the outage by lampooning the communications giant on the internet.

This is the second time in two months the telco has had a massive network failure, followed by a day of free downloads.

In February, about 800,000 Telstra customers lost internet and phone access.

As an apology, Telstra gave customers a free data day the following Sunday.

"While this is unrelated to a network outage last month, the congestion caused by people reconnecting to the network was similar," Mr Pen said.

"Following the last event we started a major process and engineering review of the network, which includes global network experts, to understand how it occurred. 

"We will add the lessons learned from this incident to that review.

"Once again I apologise for any inconvenience we have caused. 

"You expect seamless mobile service with Telstra and it is our responsibility to ensure that is delivered day in, day out."

 

Telstra customers complaining over another outage

IF you can't get through on your mobile phone, you aren't alone.

Telstra are working to restore mobile phone service to customers, including some in Central Queensland. 

On social media Telstra said they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

A Telstra spokesperson said they are aware of an issue affecting mobile customers, stopping them from making/receiving calls and using data.

"We are looking into the cause of this issue and apologise for the inconvenience this is causing. We are doing everything we can to restore services as soon as possible," they said.

Customers can monitor the service here.

Topics:  editors picks, mobile phone, telstra



AMWU calls for Carlton boycott

Union members protesting CUB in Rockhampton.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

Strike action is continuing at Melbourne breweries.

Local girl hooked on Marlin fishing

Chloe Murray and her father Jeff posing with a Mahi Mahi.

Fishing began as a hobby for Chloe, but now she's snagged an award

Step-father takes the stand in court

Court

Man accused of touching step-daughter gave evidence in court today

Local Partners

Homer Simpson thanks Australia during Opera House visit

Homer Simpson visits the Sydney Opera House.

ANIMATION favourite gets attacked by seagulls in viral video.

Channel 9 orders second season of Doctor Doctor

Rodger Corser stars in the TV series Doctor Doctor.

RURAL medical drama finds a loyal following.

Katy Perry gets naked to encourage people to vote

Katy Perry in Funny Or Die sketch

Katy Perry has stripped naked for a comedy video

Jogging Tom Hanks crashes wedding in Central Park

Tom Hanks stopped for a selfie with this bride and groom

MOVIE REVIEW: Storks delivers family fun

A scene from the movie Storks.

ANIMATION can be hit or miss but when it hits, it hits hard.

Nick 'the snake' to call the shots on Survivor jury

Australian Survivor contestant Nick Iadanza.

LATEST evictee is out of the game but will still have a say.

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Projects hoped to revive Rockhampton real estate

There have been just over 800 house sales in Rockhampton this year

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

14% of renovators doing own electrical work?

Landscaping (46%), demolition (43%) and interior design (77%) are also often tackled head on by plucky homeowners.

And 12% said they did their own plumbing work