News

Tracey says Government’s job rules are too harsh

QUOTA SYSTEM: Tracey Sorensen from Adz Power Agencies in Rockhampton talks about the Work for the Dole program.
QUOTA SYSTEM: Tracey Sorensen from Adz Power Agencies in Rockhampton talks about the Work for the Dole program. Sharyn Oneill Roksagency

ROCKHAMPTON'S Tracey Sorensen believes Work for the Dole is helpful for job seekers.

But she doesn't like the idea they may soon be forced to apply for up to 40 jobs a month.

Tracey, from local business Adz Power Agencies, spoke to The Morning Bulletin about the government's proposed changes to obligations for job seekers.

The changes will apply from July 1, 2015 and could see job seekers required to look for up to 40 jobs a month, depending on location.

Most job seekers under 50 could also be required to take part in Work for the Dole up to 25 hours a week for six months.

Tracey said the Work for the Dole system could be helpful for job seekers, giving them a chance to interact with the community and help them move outside their comfort zone.

"(It) gives them the opportunity to network," she said.

"Many jobs aren't advertised and are found through 'word of mouth'.

"The more people they come in contact with and display their ability and willingness to work to, the more probability they may get a 'lead'."

But she said it was unreasonable to expect job seekers to also look for up to 40 jobs a month.

Tracey said the new requirements could have people applying for jobs they're not qualified for just to fill a quota.

She said this increased their risk of rejection and further undermined their confidence when it came to getting a job.

"Those who are serious about getting a job will apply for jobs that are within their skill set," Tracey said. "As a business, we have had a number of job-seekers door knock for work when we have not advertised any vacancies, who have had no experience or skills in our field simply to 'meet their quota' and appease Centrelink."

Tracey said she'd like to see training attached to the Work for the Dole scheme to help job seekers increase qualifications.

Work for the Dole

Proposed changes for job seekers include:

  • Most job seekers required to look for up to 40 jobs a month
  • Most job seekers under 50 required to Work for the Dole for either 15 or 25 hours a week for six months
  • New subsidies to encourage employers to hire, train and retain job seekers, mature age workers, young workers and long-term unemployed

Topics:  editors picks, federal government, jobseekers



Sexual assault trial comes to dramatic end as man flees custody

Police

UPDATE 5.30PM: The man was due to be sentenced tomorrow morning

Being attached at the hip

Supermum and her Superman sea-horsing around at Brisbane's Southbank during the Brisbane Festival.

Everyone looks for something different in behaviour as a couple

Aircraft enthusiasts and pilots descend on Thangool Aerodrome

The Thangool Fly-In will feature displays and flights across the long weekend.

AIRCRAFT enthusiasts will be flying high in Thangool Aerodrome

Local Partners

Kim Kardashian West wants restraining order against prankster

She was attacked by Vitalii Sediuk for the second time in two years

Cliff Richard to release 101st album

Sir Cliff Richard's album cover

Sir Cliff Richard is to release his 101st album

CMC Rocks faces fan backlash over date change, headliners

The 10th annual CMC Rocks festival will be headlined by The Dixie Chicks.

FANS are not happy about festival being pushed back by two weeks.

Kim Kardashian West attacked by man trying to kiss her bottom

Vitalii Sediuk targeted Gigi Hadid last week

Madonna poses naked in solidarity with Katy Perry

Madonna posted her own nude selfie on Instagram

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Projects hoped to revive Rockhampton real estate

There have been just over 800 house sales in Rockhampton this year

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

14% of renovators doing own electrical work?

Landscaping (46%), demolition (43%) and interior design (77%) are also often tackled head on by plucky homeowners.

And 12% said they did their own plumbing work