Rape accused denied bail

A 33-YEAR-OLD North Rockhampton man has been denied bail after facing court on charges of raping a 14-year-old.

The man was arrested yesterday and appeared in Rockhampton Magistrates Court this morning.

After reading an affidavit presented by police prosecutor Kevin Ongheen, Magistrate Annette Hennessy warned that she was unlikely to grant bail due to the seriousness of the offences.

Duty lawyer Paul Wonnocott said he had advised his client of this, but was still instructed to make a bail application.

Mr Wonnocott said the man had a mental health condition and had been subject to a mandatory treatment order for the past 12 months.

He said the man’s condition had since gone into some sort of remission.

Mr Wonnocott said the man had extensive family support and had not made any admissions about the alleged crime.

He admitted that text messages made up a strong part of the prosecution case.

Magistrate Hennessy didn’t hesitate when refusing bail, ordering that the man be remanded in custody until the next court date of July 13.

The man did not enter a plea.

He faces two charges of rape, one of possession of a utensil and one of offensive use of telecommunications.



UPDATE: Search resumes for missing Yeppoon pilot

UPDATE: Search resumes for missing Yeppoon pilot

WATCH:10 helicopters, a jet and emergency crews are scouring area

Rocky high school students keep history alive

Rocky high school students keep history alive

Tanya Kulu and Sherri Green to prepare for role in touching ceremony

Labor on a mission in CQ to tip the balance towards workers

Labor on a mission in CQ to tip the balance towards workers

Addressing insecure casualised work and unfair labour hire practices

Local Partners