Australian Defence

Hunt for MH370 may have to go back to the drawing-board

THE hunt for flight MH370 will continue but the Malaysian government says it may go back to the "drawing-board" if nothing is found.

A top Malaysian official revealed the search would not be abandoned as relatives and friends yesterday SUNDAY commemorated the 227 passengers and 12 crew who lost their lives when the plane disappeared one year ago.

MH370 left Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 12.41am on March 8.

It disappeared from the radar while flying over the South China Sea about 40 minutes after take-off.

Six Australians were onboard the doomed flight.

Malaysian transport minister Liow Tong Lai said his government would not abandon the search.

"I would like to say to the next of kin that we will continue to be committed to the search," he said.

A massive hunt for the aircraft continues in the southern Indian Ocean about 2500km south-west of Perth.

So far contractor Fugro has searched 26,000sq km and nothing of interest has been found.

Mr Liow said searchers would go back to the "drawing-board" if the hunt proved fruitless.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said last week the Federal and Malaysian governments were determined to find answers.

"I can't promise that the search will go on at this intensity forever, but we will continue our very best efforts to resolve this mystery and provide some answers," he said.

- APN NEWSDESK



LNP detail their roll out plans for CQ infrastructure

premium_icon LNP detail their roll out plans for CQ infrastructure

MP Landry is proud to be delivering key projects for Capricornia

Yeppoon teen scores prestigious national science scholarship

premium_icon Yeppoon teen scores prestigious national science scholarship

Zachary Steyn is one of only 25 Australian recipients

Dozens of Rocky homes to be auctioned over unpaid rates

premium_icon Dozens of Rocky homes to be auctioned over unpaid rates

Property sale notices covered two pages in The Morning Bulletin

Local Partners