Massive terror raids in Melbourne arrest 17-year-old

A 17-year-old boy will face court charged with terrorism offences after a tip-off led to a raid on a suburban Melbourne home last week.

The tip-off to the national security hotline led to a nine-day joint Victorian and federal police operation that culminated in the raid and arrest on Friday.

After a search of a Greenvale home, police found three "items", believed to be home-made explosives, before arresting the 17-year-old.

The teenager was charged on Friday with offences including planning or preparing for a terrorist act, and possessing things connected with a terrorist act.

Australian Federal Police deputy commissioner Mike Phelan said the arrest was a "sobering reminder" to all parents of the importance of being more engaged with their children.

He said it was deeply troubling that young people were becoming so disaffected and alienated they could consider engaging in terrorist acts.

The boy was expected to appear in a Melbourne court on Monday morning. - APN Newsdesk



Rocky music icon advocates for more diversity in blood drive

Rocky music icon advocates for more diversity in blood drive

"It's very important...fortunately I didn't need blood...others do.”

Baby, child on board while drunk Rocky mum way over limit

Baby, child on board while drunk Rocky mum way over limit

BUSTED: Two children were unbuckled in the back of the unsafe car.

Flood warnings issued as Dawson River continues rising

Flood warnings issued as Dawson River continues rising

Minor flood levels are expected today and tomorrow

Local Partners