THE NRL committee has shot down Capras' chairman Geoff Murphy's hopes of bringing an NRL game to Rockhampton.
And although he's not calling it a slap in the face for the region, he is disappointed about the announcement that an NRL match in August will no longer go ahead.
Mr Murphy put a bid forward to bring an NRL match to Rockhampton in August. He was predicting a game between the Gold Coast Titans and the Canberra Raiders.
In the lead-up to the NRL committee's decision on Friday, Mr Murphy said people high up in the NRL ranks had reassured him the move was a positive one and they were happy to support a game in Rockhampton.
However, Mr Murphy said NRL boss Dave Smith last week stated the committee had only budgeted to take six games across the country this year.
He also suspected that one of the reasons the NRL was not prepared to bring a match to Rockhampton was because of broadcasting commitments.
Funding that was allocated for upgrades to Browne Park - which included temporary seating in the grandstand and more lighting - was likely to be held back.
Mr Murphy said the State Government had allocated $250,000 to bring the NRL game to Rockhampton. The Rockhampton Regional Council was going to give another $100,000.
Mr Murphy said it was going to cost about $650,000 to bring the NRL game to Rockhampton. That included NRL costs, flights and accommodation for the teams.
His focus was to try to bring an NRL game to Central Queensland next year.