Accused drug dealer denied freedom
A MAN accused of leading a large drug trafficking network in Rockhampton was denied a bid for freedom yesterday.
It is alleged Adrian James Sutton “flooded” the community with methylamphetamines before he was arrested in August during extensive drug raids across the city.
He was refused bail in Rockhampton Magistrates Court yesterday, appearing for the first time since his arrest.
Defence solicitor Doug Winning told Acting Magistrate Mark Morrow there was “absolutely” no evidence to support the allegation that Sutton had been the head of Rockhampton’s drug network.
Police contested the bail application, saying Sutton was an unacceptable risk of interfering with witnesses or committing another offence.
Over three months this year, Mr Winning said Sutton was allegedly tracked by undercover police.
During that time police allege Sutton was behind supplying drugs to an undercover officer on nine separate occasions.
However, Mr Winning said there was only one occasion where police alleged Sutton was physically involved.
On that day, Sutton is accused of picking up the undercover policeman and driving him to a North Rockhampton business where the officer bought drugs from Sutton’s brother, who has also been charged with drug offences.
Mr Winning said the prosecution case relied on a recorded conversation an undercover officer had with Sutton on May 25 where the accused allegedly spoke candidly about his drug business.
Mr Winning said when Sutton’s rental property was raided four months ago, police found no methylamphetamine, no “significant” amount of cash and no “significant” evidence of property alleged to be bought from drug trafficking profits.
Sutton is also charged with four counts of assault occasioning bodily harm.
Three of those offences allegedly took place on May 30 when he was involved in a brawl with bouncers near Strutters Nightclub in the Rockhampton CBD. Sutton allegedly injured three men in the fight.
Mr Winning said the first had a 5cm laceration to his right cheek, and abrasions on his cheek and nose; the second man received a hematoma to his right temple and a laceration on his lip; and the third man had a two to three centimetre cut above his eye.
The last assault charge refers to a fight at the Criterion Hotel on June 21 when Sutton allegedly knocked a man unconscious.
Sutton is also charged with possessing a weapon (a pistol) and steroids, and obstructing police when his home was raided.
He will face court again in the new year.