The Northern Star first brought you the story of Alvin a month ago - he suffered horrific injuries after a firecracker was put in his anus and detonated.
He was found in mid-January behind Ballina Fair, emaciated with burns down his legs and burnt fur and whiskers.
He had severe damage around his anus and severe internal burning. Luckily he was taken to the Racecourse Road Veterinary Hospital in Ballina where he has received nothing but the best care.
Rachelle Beardsworth from the surgery said Alvin - now about 18 weeks old - was very lucky to be alive, let alone recovering so well.
"He is doing great," she said. "We're doing procedures on Alvin about two or three times a week because we are trying to get his bottom to function pro-perly.
"It seems to be working but Alvin is still on a special diet. "What we are trying to do is slow down the healing process.
"With burns, there can be a lot
of scar tissue, which wouldn't be good for him in that location.
"But compared to the little kitten that came here weeks ago, it is just an amazing transformation."
Despite his recovery, Alvin isn't going anywhere. The staff at the surgery are so fond of the kitten that he has been adopted as the surgery cat.
"He rules the roost here," Ms Beardsworth said.
"Now he greets everyone in the waiting room - he is a gorgeous-natured little fellow. But he's also a bundle of mischief."
Ms Beardsworth said the surgery had received plenty of support from the community since Alvin was featured in the Star.
Donations, well wishes and phone calls of support have been pouring in.
"I can't believe how many people cared," she said.
"The support has been phenomenal; we would just love to thank everyone."