Cloud of shame still hangs over Comets
THE Central Comets yesterday side-stepped media enquiries following the club's latest alleged alcohol-fuelled scandal.
It was business as usual last night as the players went through their training drills at Browne Park, where Comets chief executive Jamie Boon said the club was "reluctant to see a trial by media occur''.
Boon has not given players clearance to talk to the media after claims of drunken and unruly behaviour at a Rockhampton rugby league game on Sunday at Victoria Park.
He confirmed a report into the alleged incident was sent to the QRL central division by the close of business yesterday.
However, he said the club's investigation was ongoing.
Earlier in the day when asked how long this could last he said: "How long is a piece of string.''
"There is nothing I wish to say,'' Mr Boon said from his Browne Park office last night.
QRL central division manager Rex Zeeman said the Comets were required to have a report about the alleged incident to the division by yesterday.
The Bully has been inundated with related SMS messages. In yesterday's paper, Brothers Rugby League Club president Jack Kennedy said police were called after problems with players at Victoria Park.
Witnesses said co-captain Denny Lambert, enforcer Peter Penaia and prop Marty Oborn were the players involved.
Mr Kennedy demanded a public apology and said Comets' players, except those who came up through the Brothers' junior ranks, would not be welcome at his club's future home games.