Dogs survive baits in sausages
By JOSEPH TERNOWETSKY
AFTER an anxious wait, Steve Lloyd's two dogs will survive a cruel dog-baiting incident.
Last Friday his two dogs, a boxer and a rough collie, ate some sausages stuffed with poison.
The sausages were planted in Mr Lloyd's Jessie Street, Rockhampton, yard.
When Mr Lloyd found the sausages he immediately rushed his pets to the vet.
"We induced vomiting,'' he said.
But the poison still took its toll on the animals.. All weekend the dogs were nauseous, lethargic and ill, he said.
"We kept a close watch on them all weekend,'' he said. "They were very rundown and tired.''
Mr Lloyd now takes no chances with his pets and said he inspects the yard each day before letting them out.
After the incident police warned the neighbourhood of a possible serial dog-baiter.
The case has now been handed over to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
But a spokesperson for Queensland RSPCA said dog-baiting cases often remained unsolved.
"It is hard to find these individuals or prove their guilt,'' he said.
"Most of these cases involve a neighbour fighting with a neighbour.''
Those convicted of animal cruelty charges face fines of up to $75,000 or two years in prison.