Donations sought for foster family
TEARS welled in Joan Moulds's eyes yesterday as she spoke about the fire that ripped through her neighbour's home on Monday afternoon.
"It's terrible, they are such a lovely family and Sue is a wonderful foster mum,'' she said.
Mrs Moulds phoned ABC Radio yesterday morning to organise donations for the family.
"The kids only had the clothes that were on their backs so my son cleaned his cupboard out and some friends of ours have also donated some clothes,'' Mrs Moulds said.
Mrs Moulds, who lives with her son, said she was out in her back yard pruning trees when the fire started.
"Some of the kids were helping me in the garden as they often do and the other kids were having a little party in their back yard.
"My hearing aid battery was flat and all I heard was Sue yell "Fire'' and I looked around and saw the flames leaping from the front of the house,'' she said.
Mrs Moulds grabbed her garden hose and tried to hose the flames on the side of the house, but was overcome by the smoke.
"I was hosing from my side of the fence but the smoke got too much and then shock set in and I went to pieces,'' Mrs Moulds said.
Part of Mrs Moulds's property was also damaged in the fire and she is now beginning repairs.
Mrs Moulds has been close to the family for a number of years, and considered herself part of the family.
"We help the kids out now and then. They really are such a lovely family and it's terrible for this to happen to them,'' Mrs Moulds said.
Donations can be made through the Salvation Army on 4923 5600.