Fire victims staying positive
ROCKHAMPTON'S McBryde family has been overwhelmed by community generosity since their Grosskopf Street home burnt down late last month.
Yesterday, as Wayne and Sharon McBryde walked through the remnants of the house with their two children, James, 4, and Lachlan, 1, they were surprisingly upbeat.
"You just never think it's going to happen to you,'' Mrs McBryde said.
"It's hard to believe this is the same home.
"I'm just glad no-one was here.''
Fire killed the family dog, Sandy, and destroyed nearly all possessions. A decision is still to be made on whether the home can be re-built or needs to be knocked down and started again.
The McBrydes only lived in the home for four months and the week before the fire had received council approval to begin renovation work.
They're focusing on the positives.
"I was delighted because one thing that survived, and it was one of the first things I thought of when I found out about the fire, was my wedding photos,'' Mrs McBryde said.
They were in tact despite being just a short distance from the faulty powerpoint which started the fire.
Wayne's treasured old Toyota Landcruiser wasn't so lucky. It was completely gutted and was one of the few things not insured.
As for the boys, they have adapted well to life in the nearby rental property the family's insurance company has put them up in.
"James, the older one, does miss the dog, but apart from that they're fine,'' Mr McBryde said.
The family said they were overwhelmed by the community support, which included presents for the boys, offers of a new family pet and household goods.
"We want to say thank you to everyone,'' Mr McBryde said.