Foundation day takes the cake
ROCKHAMPTON Grammar School captains Zenetta Burger and Tom MacNevin helped serve up a slice of history at the school's 125th foundation day celebrations.
Students from prep through to Year 12 attended a special assembly to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the school's foundation.
Opening its doors for the first time on February 1, 1881, Rockhampton Grammar School is the oldest secondary school in the district.
The school's foundation was first proposed by local Member John MacFarlane during a series of public meetings in 1878.
The original building in Archer Street, which is still in use, was designed by Sidney Williams and built by John Ferguson, then Rockhampton's mayor.
It featured accommodation for boarders upstairs and classrooms below, for the 64 students, both boys and girls.
The Rockhampton Grammar School's first board advertised as far afield as London and Edinburgh before appointing as its first heads, John Wheatcroft and Ina Tweedie.
The pair later married.
Through Australia's Federation and both world wars, the school has produced outstanding leaders in the fields of commerce, agriculture, sport, military and law.
All of the school's 1150 students received specially commissioned buttons for their blazers and shared a commemorative cake.