How to break the bad news
ROCKHAMPTON City Councillors last night contemplated how best to break the news about the new dump fees to residents.
The fees will come into place on August 1, following a one-month advertising campaign.
The campaign is set to include public notices, leaflets , information posted on the council's website and a large sign erected at the dump's entrance which will list all the fees.
Rockhampton Mayor Margaret Strelow said the council's decision to introduce the fees was not to make more money, but to recoup funds lost when business waste charges were changed.
She said previously businesses had been charged per toilet, not per bin: "It wasn't fair. We chose rather than to spread the cost over everyone, we would recover the funding from the group who use the landfill most.