Man found not guilty of rape
A MAN has been found not guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman while she slept at a Rockhampton hotel.
Yesterday a Rockhampton District Court jury delivered is verdict shortly after 6pm.
Kim Wesley Dunbar had pleaded not guilty to raping a 19-yearold woman on July 14, 2002.
Earlier the court had heard the summing up from Dunbar's barrister, Ross Lo Monaco. Mr Lo Monaco said there were a lot of inconsistencies in evidence given by the complainant and her partner.
The court had previously heard the woman and her partner fell asleep in a storage room upstairs and she woke some time later to find Dunbar having sex with her.
It was told the alleged rape occurred after a long drinking binge. Mr Lo Monaco questioned why the complainant, someone who said she was offered a room, did not go to it.
He said it was the middle of winter and questioned why she went to the storage room and why it was in such a mess when police arrived.
"There are a lot of things, ladies and gentlemen, we're not being told about,'' Mr Lo Monaco said.
He said the jury should return a verdict of not guilty. "There are too many gaps.
"Too many things missing,'' Mr Lo Monaco said.