More charges against youths after shootings
THE youths accused of shooting a 13-year-old boy on Australia Day have been charged with another two shootings on Rockhampton streets.
Police charged another three 17-year-old males in relation to the shooting spree on Saturday.
The trio were bailed and ordered to appear in Rockhampton Magistrate's Court tomorrow.
They are charged alongside coaccused John Nitz and Timothy Perry, both 17, who are in police custody.
Regional Crime Co-ordinator Mick Niland yesterday said the five teenagers drove around Rockhampton in two cars on Thursday targeting people of Aboriginal apperance.
He alleged they used air rifles to fire shots at a group of males and females in the grounds of the Rockhampton City Council Chambers before driving to the Northside.
It was alleged they shot a girl, 15, in Alexandra Street before shooting the boy, 13.
Detective Inspector Niland said police were also looking for an Aboriginal teenager riding a bike in the Wilmington Street/Alexandra Street area who also may have been shot at.
He said the 15-year-old girl felt a sting in her back between her shoulder blades and saw the two cars drive past.
She didn't know what had caused the sting and went to Rockhampton Hospital on Thursday where she was treated with a band-aid.
But after seeing reports of the boy's shooting on Friday she contacted police.
She had surgery to remove the air rifle pellet on Saturday and was released yesterday.
Detective Inspector Niland said the youths had been charged with a string of offences including unlawful wounding and an act intended to cause grevous bodily harm which carries a maximum life sentence.
He said it was believed two of the youths were responsible for shooting the victims while the other three encouraged.