Poison scare hits Sizzler
ROCKHAMPTON'S Sizzler restaurant was last night caught up in a nationwide poison scare.
The Sizzler was closed from 4.30pm to 5.45pm yesterday after news broke that salad bars at two of the chain's Brisbane restaurants had been contaminated ? one with green-like pellets similar to that used in rat poison.
Salad bars (counters of food where patrons serve themselves) have since been closed in all Siz- zler restaurants.
The chain's website read: "In response to a sabotage attempt, Sizzler Restaurants has temporarily closed all its salad bars around Australia.'' Neville Hare, of Blackwater, was one of the many customers waiting patiently for the doors to be re-opened yesterday.
"Whenever I'm in town I come here for the all you can eat because it's such good value for money,'' the diesel fitter said.
Not satisfied with the news the salad bar would be unavailable, a hungry Mr Hare left with friend Melissah Ray in search of somewhere else to eat.
"There's no point going if you can't have the self-serve all you can eat. But it's good to see they're doing something about it.
"I'll come back when it's fixed because I've been coming here all of my life.''
Rockhampton Sizzler duty manager Brian Vandenban said he was not sure when the restaurant's operations would return to normal.
"Our phones have been running hot and we've had to call in extra staff,'' Mr Vandenban said shortly after reopening the store yesterday.