Sparkler may have started house fire

A FIVE-year-old boy and a sparkler in the bedroom appears to be the ignition point of Thursday's Ingham Street fire.

Geoffrey Henry, the father of the boy, said he was alone in the room when "he lit some of them up''.

"He's got a little burn on the back of his leg about the size of a 10 cent piece,'' but Mr Henry's son is otherwise well.

There were eight children and two adults in the North Rockhampton house when the fire started at 3.20pm on Thurs-day, and all made a quick escape before Queensland Fire and Res-cue Service arrived.

Yesterday afternoon the family was still coming to terms with the loss. "We've not gone to the house yet,'' Rhonda Henry said.

"We're not allowed in there until the engineer says it's stable.

"It's not knowing that is hard ? we'll just have to wait and see,'' she said.

After spending Thursday night at the Glenmore Palms Motel, the Department of Housing moved the Henry family into Neville Bonner Hostel while they find them permanent accommodation.

With still only the clothes on their back, the Henry family went to Lifeline in the late afternoon to get a change of clothes for the weekend.

Member for Rockhampton Robert Schwarten started a collection of donations to help the Henry family get back on their feet.

"Rocky people have of course stepped up to the plate again,'' Mr Schwarten said about the donations called in.



Missing Dalby girls located in CQ

Missing Dalby girls located in CQ

TEENAGERS last seen at 10pm and thought to be heading to Rocky

Boiler maker seeks $775k for manhole workplace injury

premium_icon Boiler maker seeks $775k for manhole workplace injury

CQ workplace accident after rains in 2016

Local Partners