Sting leaves Jacob sore, sorry
ONE minute Jacob Uittenbosch was paddling happily in the water at Great Keppel Island, the next, he was screaming in pain.
The Brisbane boy, 9, had been holidaying with his family when he was stung under his left arm and rib area by an irukandji jellyfish in knee-deep water about 5pm on Tuesday.
"Jacob was just screaming and screaming that he'd been stung,'' father Les said.
Jacob's mother Kelly said they had immediately administered vinegar and an antihistamine, which she carried everywhere because her son often had bad reactions.
Mr Uittenbosch said if the island's nurse hadn't been in the area, things could have been a lot worse.
He said the Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service had flown Jacob to Rockhampton Hospital, where he faced a rough night.
Mrs Uittenbosch said Jacob's heart rate had been about three times the normal rate, only stabilising about 3am yesterday.
She said the hospital had to try different treatment methods because they had never treated someone so young.
"He had excruciating pains, mostly in his legs. It was hard.''
Mrs Uittenbosch said her son has sustained some heart damage, but was expected to make a full recovery.
Jacob's sister, Caitlin, 12, also copped a less potent sting on her leg as she had been walking in the water near her brother.
The Uittenbosch's urged swimmers to wear full body suits, know the symptoms and know how to treat the sting.