The call that saved his life
A TIMELY call from work for a shift change saved Allan Barber's life on Wednesday when his house was destroyed by fire.
The call woke Mr Barber, who had been working night shift as a nurse at Eventide Home, Rock-hampton, giving him enough time to escape the house that had been in his wife, Jan Munday-Barber's, family for five generations.
He ran from the burning house and tried putting it out with the garden hose, but gave up after burning his right arm.
The 22 Wilkinson Street, Wan-dal, home burnt down on Thurs-day afternoon when a fire started in his son, Benjamin's, bedroom. Rockhampton Fire and Rescue Service believe the fire was started by something electrical.
"I'd just finished polishing the floor, gee it looked wonderful. I was proud of it too.''
Continued in today's Bulletin.