Watering bans still enforced
By FRAZER PEARCE
HANG on to your hoses Rockhampton, it's not open slather on sprinkler use just yet.
Contrary to popular belief, sprinkler restrictions will remain in place tomorrow when the city turns on to a user-pays system for residential water consumption.
Fitzroy River Water general manager Neil Hanschen yesterday said the sprinkler times of 8am to 10am and 7pm to 10pm were under review but would stay in force for the time being.
Yesterday a concerned resident rang The Morning Bulletin to say he understood it was open slather for sprinkler use and he could use as much as he liked from July 1.
He said he had spoken to his neighbours and they had been under the same understanding.
However, when he checked with Rockhampton City Council he was told sprinkler restrictions would still be in force.
Mr Hanschen said it was important for residents to stick to the current sprinkler times until the council advised otherwise.
He said the council was reviewing sprinkler times and would be considering a number of options in the coming weeks.
He said there were many factors involved in considering changes to sprinkler usage.
If the entire city turned on sprinklers for an extended period (four hours or more) it would severely deplete reservoirs which would trigger a number of supply problems and dangers including a lack of water to fight house fires.
Mr Hanschen reminded citizens anyone caught sprinkling outside the set hours would be subject to a $75 fine.