WHETHER he was wielding a knife or a gun, alleged armed robber Clinton John Bau was said to have told police it was all about the power.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Darrell Dalton said in Rockhampton Magistrate's Court yesterday that the 26-year-old admitted to police he was involved in four armed hold-ups this year.
The first was at Raffles Hotel then the North Rockhampton Bowls Club in January, and the Park Avenue Hotel and Berserker Tavern earlier this month.
Bau and his alleged co-offender in the attempted armed robbery at PA Hotel and armed robbery at Berserker Tavern, Nigel Allan O'Keefe, yesterday applied for bail.
O'Keefe faced four charges and Bau faced eight. Neither men entered pleas.
The pair allegedly entered the PA Hotel wearing balaclavas about 11.30pm on March 17, with Bau allegedly wielding a gun.
Sgt Dalton said Bau fired a shot near the floor of a patron who approached him.
With his wife and baby sitting in the back of the court room, Bau tried to defend his actions to Magistrate Cameron Press.
"I wasn't going in there to hurt anyone," Bau said. He said he fired the shot because the customer walked towards him to try and take the gun from him and he didn't want the patron "to be an idiot".
Bau and O'Keefe fled without any money, but allegedly successfully robbed the Berserker Tavern about an hour later.
The duty lawyer representing both men, Grant Ireland, said the case against O'Keefe was circumstantial, based only on similarities between PA Hotel CCTV footage of the unarmed man and O'Keefe.
Sgt Dalton said Bau, a quarry worker at Marmor, initially denied his involvement, but when police detailed the evidence against him he made full admissions.
Part of the evidence included a receipt for two balaclavas in a brown bag discovered at Bau's home.
Sgt Dalton said Bau told police he committed the offences because of the power it gave him over people.
Both men were remanded in custody and are set to appear in court on April 26.