Artie condemns Rockhampton council's response to his issues
THE owner of property that motorists are using to avoid traffic lights on Musgrave St, outside Stockland Rockhampton, has condemned council's response to his problems.
After two years of fighting over the traffic island with council and Transport and Main Roads, Artie den Exter has been further frustrated by council's refusal to provide a report before he goes to court on the matter.
"It's about council, Main Roads and Stockland fixing the problems they created," Mr den Exter said.
Councillors last month requested a report on the problem after CQG Consulting town planner Brittany Lauga approached council on Mr den Exter's behalf. But council said the report would not be available until after he goes to court on March 20.
Mr den Exter said motorists using the driveway on his property were endangering the lives of people working nearby and other motorists.
He and Ms Lauga said council should have given stakeholders a chance to comment on the intersection and traffic island before it was built.
But council hand-balled the matter on to Transport and Main Roads which denied responsibility.
Council chief executive Evan Pardon did not comment on why people were not given a chance to comment on the intersection. He said a report requested by councillors would be presented to its Planning and Development Committee. "All matters will be addressed in that report, in a co-ordinated manner," Mr Pardon said.
However, Mr den Exter said: "Mr Pardon is acting as judge and jury on this matter before considering the report requested by the planning committee."