Rockets basketball team with QBL trophy.
Rockets basketball team with QBL trophy. CHRIS ISON

QBL draw kind to Rockets

REPUBLIK Nightclub Rockhampton Rockets coach Neal Tweedy's concerns have been put at ease with the release of the QBL draw on Wednesday.

The official QBL fixture for both the men's and women's fixtures was released with the Rockets and Hog's Breath Cyclones taking on Bundaberg at Rockhampton's Hegvold Stadium on May 7.

The Rockhampton sides face bogey side Mackay in the second round before travelling to Brisbane and the Gold Coast in round three and four for their first double header of the season.

During the first six weeks of competition the Rockets will be buoyed by their home town support – a crucial element in their push for back-to-back championships – after the draw revealed they would feature in four of the opening six weeks on their home court.

There were initial concerns with the draft draw, however Rockets coach Tweedy is reasonably pleased with the newly revised draw, despite still having concerns over the availability of a couple of players.

“We've probably got a pretty reasonable run (in the first five weeks),” Tweedy said.

“The concern with the first five weeks is the roster issues we have with the availability of some of our imports.”

Still undecided on whether 2010 imports and 2011 priority preferences, Reggie Golson and Ryan McDade will be available, the Rockets are yet to make a decision on which direction they'll take regarding recruitment.

“We really haven't decided yet and we probably won't be making a decision for a month or so,” he said.

“Depending on when their competitions finish overseas will determine whether we sign them. It all depends on how late in our season they'll be available.”

Unlike previous years where they have started the season with a bye and then a QBL-wide weekend off, the Rockets and Hog's Breath Cyclones have to front up in round one and are likely to be tested by the improving Bundaberg sides in what could be the two side's first encounter in 2011 after this weekend's final leg of the Development League was postponed to a later date.

Bundaberg was expected to host this weekend's final D-League fixtures, but following the floods earlier in the year in which the team's courts were flooded, the home town's venue isn't yet available.

Rockhampton Basketball Incorporated chief executive officer Jamie Boon said Rockhampton offered to host this weekend's fixtures,s but was awaiting a decision on the venue and date by the QBL, hopefully the first weekend in April.

More Stories



Why a Ring Road is the best option for Rocky

premium_icon Why a Ring Road is the best option for Rocky

STRELOW: We couldn't fight this forever but we can shape the result

'People are losing hope': CQ nurse reveals truth about Nauru

premium_icon 'People are losing hope': CQ nurse reveals truth about Nauru

The 'Nauru is paradise' narrative is a lie. Here's the proof

Politicians face local backlash against Adani's water use

premium_icon Politicians face local backlash against Adani's water use

They sought to explain the stringent oversight for the project.

Local Partners