Family loses everything in fire
A CENTRAL Queensland mining community is rallying behind a Blackwater family that lost everything in a house fire on Easter Sunday.
It is believed a faulty hot water system started the fire which caused extensive damage to the single-storey home about 4.15pm.
While no one was injured in the fire, children were reportedly in the home when it started.
The occupants lost all their possessions and had to spend Sunday night at one of Blackwater’s two crisis houses.
The family, which includes one young child, was renting the home.
Yesterday, Blackwater Salvation Army commanding officers John and Karen Jackson said the community wanted to support the victims.
Mr Jackson has encouraged people who wanted to contribute to drop off donations at the Salvation Army base at 13-15 Arthur St.
He said donations of furniture, such as ward robes, beds, tables and chairs would be welcome.
“They have lost everything,” Mr Jackson said.
“This is an opportunity for people who want to help. At times like this, people want to respond to those who have suffered.”
He said the family had lived in the mining town for some time.
A Queensland Fire and Rescue Service representative yesterday said a faulty hot water system at the rear of the home was thought to have caused the fire. The incident was not being treated as suspicious.
- Each year there are more than 10,000 house fires in Australia, causing more than 1500 injuries and 70 deaths
- House fires are caused most commonly by cooking, smoking and electrical faults in wiring or appliances
- About 30% of house fires start in the kitchen
- Most deaths from house fires occur at night when people are asleep
- Ensure your smoke alarms work
Source: NRMA Insurance
This is an opportunity for people who want to help