Boat engine catches fire
IT might have been bad luck when Yeppoon fisherman Ken Carter’s boat engine caught fire yesterday, but he and his wife managed to reel in their biggest catches while waiting for the rescue boat.
The pair was fishing about 50km north-east of Yeppoon near Flat Island when Ken tried to start the motor about 8am only to smell wire burning and see smoke coming from the motor.
“There was a hell of a lot of smoke so I started extinguishing it through the air vent of the motor cowl to stop oxygen fuelling the fire,” Ken said.
A couple of minutes later, a nearby vessel came to help after seeing the smoke.
“We had it under control, but they threw us their extinguisher just in case,” Ken said.
“I want to thank them for coming over, because any thing could have happened,” he said.
Ken, who is a member of the Coast Guard Support Club, alerted the Yeppoon Coast Guard about the incident.
The Gormans Removals rescue vessel arrived about 9.30am to tow their 27-foot monohull back to Rosslyn Bay Harbour.
The other vessel stayed nearby as a precaution until the rescue boat arrived.
Ken said while they were waiting for the Coast Guard rescue crew, his wife reeled in their biggest catch – a 10.5 kg red jewfish.
“We got a few more decent-sized grunters and came home with about a dozen good fish.”
They arrived at the harbour at 1.15pm yesterday.
Ken said he wasn’t sure at that stage what the cause of the fault had been, but the motor was only 12 months old.
Meanwhile, Yeppoon Coast Guard’s media officer Gordan Fry said they were called late on Friday to help the Yeppoon Water Police ferry a paramedic to Great Keppel Island after a man was stung by an irukandji jellyfish.
After the paramedic was taken to the water police vessel, the patient was treated and taken back to the harbour before being taken to hospital.
“The man was in a great deal of pain, but we are unsure how he went after the rescue,” Mr Fry said.
Attempts by The Morning Bulletin to find out how he was recovering were unsuccessful yesterday.