Both Rocky meatworks set to open
10.30am: MEATWORKERS across Rockhampton are set to return to work this month.
Management at the city’s two big abattoirs said operations were set to fire up soon after the floods.
Swift Australia Rockhampton manager Jason Reabel said it would be all systems go at his meatworks from Thursday, January 27.
Mr Reabel said the site’s 537 staff would be back into full swing from that date.
Swift had originally scheduled its re-start on January 18.
Mr Reabel said normally the site operated with a four-week shut down for maintenance, but the plan this year had been to aim for three weeks.
The delay took the shut-down period out to its normal length.
“The flood didn’t reach the plant, the delay has more to do with getting the transport of equipment here,” Mr Reabel said.
“We’ll soon be back in full swing … we’re doing all we can to get back up and running again to support the community and the graziers.”
The meatworks draws its cattle from a 500km radius of Rockhampton.
“We’ll probably be focusing on the northern area of this radius at the start,” Mr Reabel said.
Meanwhile, Teys Bros’ chief executive Brad Teys said operations at the Lakes Creek Road meatworks would fire up again on January 31, after the Beenleigh meatworks starts on January 24.
Mr Teys said the Rockhampton abattoir had 30cm of water through the boiler house during the flood peak, but that the facility had received no major damage, and it should return to full production by the end of the month.
Teys Bros employs 900 people.