Boy, 16, breaks court curfew

HIS mother can’t control him and police aren’t having much luck either.

Despite being accused of committing 16 petty crimes, the 16-year-old boy doesn’t seem to have any plans to settle down.

On Wednesday the teenager, who cannot be named under the Juvenile Justice Act, was linked to three new offences from an alleged crime spree in November and December last year.

It included allegedly stealing a carton of milk from Coles Express on October 26, stealing a digital camera from Harvey Norman on November 7 and taking a bottle of alcohol from Liquor Land on November 9.

Yesterday the teenager applied for bail in Rockhampton’s Children’s Court.

Although police refused his release, he was allowed out to live with an older friend.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Kay Schick said the boy’s mother told police that her son disappeared frequently and she never knew where he went.

The boy had been bailed previously in December on the condition he have a night-time curfew that stated he must be at his mother’s home each night.

But the mother said she couldn’t stop him running away.

Police tracked the teenager down on Wednesday and he was kept in custody on the new charges they linked him to, through reviewing security footage.

Defence solicitor Paul Wonnocott said the boy argued with his mother and fought with his younger brother often.

He said the youth would leave home when his father visited. His action was for reasons which were not made public in court yesterday.

“They are tragic but unusual circumstances,” Mr Wonnocott said.

The boy will reappear in court again next month.



Chantal Barnett's family: 'Pure evil stands over us'

premium_icon Chantal Barnett's family: 'Pure evil stands over us'

'The 2025 days we have suffered the emptiness of the unknown.'

Carmichael mega mine will go ahead without public money

premium_icon Carmichael mega mine will go ahead without public money

“There has been a lot of misinformation and speculation."

Local Partners