Brad to fire up BBQ to remember
IT'S hard to believe that a year ago the Quay St riverbank parklands were lost underneath rushing floodwater.
Next week it will become a place of remembrance and celebration as Mayor Brad Carter marks the one-year anniversary of the Rockhampton clean up with a barbecue for victims and volunteers.
Cr Carter said it was an opportunity to recognise those who suffered and those who gave their time and money to help with the great clean up, which took place on January 22 last year.
"We thought the clean-up date was better to focus on than the date the river peaked," he said yesterday.
Cr Carter said while we should not lose sight of the pain and suffering that the community went through, it was also important to celebrate the community's resilience.
The barbecue, which will be held on January 28, follows a similar event held by Queensland Premier Anna Bligh and Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd in West End, Brisbane yesterday.
Cr Carter said there would be a free sausage sizzle and drinks, as well as a number of short addresses.
The event will run from 10am to 2pm and all members of the public are invited.
Cr Carter said the day would also mark the unveiling of a new, clean measuring stick.
"On behalf of the community I would like to thank every individual, organisation and business for co-operating with all authorities," he said.
"As a result of this we achieved the three great outcomes - no loss of life, no injuries and no looting."