Bundaberg council to discuss Rolf Harris painting at meeting
BUNDABERG Regional Council is yet to make a decision on whether or not artwork produced by Australian artist Rolf Harris will remain on show at the Moncrieff Entertainment Centre in Bundaberg's CBD.
The council said they would discuss the removal of the artwork at the next available meeting on July 14 after the artist was found guilty of indecent assault earlier this week.
Bundaberg Mayor Mal Forman said the artwork - a colourful landscape image of Ayres Rock - has been on display at the entertainment centre for more than two decades.
"Mr Harris produced the image after performing at the Moncrieff back in 1992. Apparently it was something that he whipped up following his show," Cr Forman said.
"The painting is currently mounted on the back wall of the Donald Smith Bar at the Moncrieff Entertainment Centre, where it's been hanging since it was produced."
Cr Forman said the topic of whether or not the artwork would be removed was a decision for all councillors to make and he wouldn't elaborate further on the issue until a final decision had been reached.
Harris, 84, was convicted this week of attacks on four victims between 1968 and 1986, after the jury of six men and six women deliberated the case for more than 33 hours and into an eighth day.
During his trial, which opened on May 9, prosecutors claimed the entertainer was a "Jekyll and Hyde" character who had a dark side to his personality and used his fame to abuse under-age girls with impunity.
His conviction is the most high-profile of those achieved by officers from Scotland Yard as part of the sex crime investigation Operation Yewtree, set up in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.
Do you think Bundaberg council should remove the Rolf Harris painting
This poll ended on 12 July 2014.
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.