Child airlifted after suspected brown snake bite

A YOUNG boy has been airlifted by RACQ CareFlight Rescue after he was bitten by a snake.

The Toowoomba crew was tasked to a property on McLean Rd, Pechey, north of Toowoomba, about 7.50am today.

The eight-year-old boy was bitten by what he described as a brown snake when he opened a screen door and accidentally stepped on it.

He was treated at the scene by the rescue crew before being transferred to the Toowoomba Base Hospital in a stable condition.

The boy is the third person to be airlifted by RACQ CareFlight Rescue with a suspected snake bite in just ten days.

On October 10, a 10-yearold boy was airlifted from Warwick Hospital to Brisbane's Mater Children's following a snake bite.

The breed and colour of that snake were unknown.

Last Wednesday, a 20-year-old woman was airlifted to hospital after a suspected snake bite on Fraser Island.

CareFlight chief medical officer doctor Allan MacKillop says there are simple procedures to follow after any snake bite.

"Immobilise the patient and the limb, wrap a crepe bandage right down the limb and immediately call triple zero," he said.

He says it's also very important not to try to kill or capture the snake.

"It's a misconception that we must have the snake for diagnosis," he said

"Many people get bitten again trying to kill or capture it."

WHAT'S HOT ONLINE TODAY



Man breached DV by attending victim’s workplace

Premium Content Man breached DV by attending victim’s workplace

A domestic violence offender breached a no contact condition of a court order...

SHOCK CALL: Livingstone Shire councillor resigns

Premium Content SHOCK CALL: Livingstone Shire councillor resigns

Runner-up candidate could fill role if council decides against by-election.

Roofer just avoids jail after drunken Giddy Goat incident

Premium Content Roofer just avoids jail after drunken Giddy Goat incident

Jack Desmond Pullman now has a suspended sentence “hanging over his head like a...