Ciggie lights up the BMW
PULLING into her driveway after fuelling up her lawn mower's jerry can, Katie Madigan was not expecting what happened next.
As the Rockhampton woman Katy arrived to her Dean St home last Sunday, her mother, Kathy, went to light up a cigarette shortly after in the passenger seat where Katie had just put the fuel can.
"She was trying to hide from my kids because she didn't want them to see her smoking," Katie said.
"I don't know whether she was thrown out from the explosion or just jumping out herself, but the car went up in flames and Mum ended up on the ground beside it."
The fire from the '91 BMW, parked close to the house, caused everyone, including Katie and her three children, to take refuge on the footpath.
"I heard Mum yell and looked out the front to find her crawling on the ground trying to get away from the fire," Katie said.
"Two men were at the back door and grabbed my kids, took us over the neighbours' fence and out onto the footpath, and by that point, the car was destroyed."
Katie said once she made it out onto the footpath, she was overwhelmed by the help of kind strangers, with fire authorities arriving shortly after.
"I didn't know where all these people even came from, they were calling 000 and trying to get the neighbours' hoses but they weren't close enough," she said.
"I'm just thankful no one was hurt and that Mum only came out of it with a few scratches and singed hair."