Clean up continues on rained out roads
THE majority of Livingstone businesses impacted by last week's torrential rain are up and running again, according to Mayor Bill Ludwig.
He said the majority of the clean-up should be completed within two weeks, as crews from the Livingstone Shire Council, the SES and the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service continued to work through the weekend.
Businesses and homes were flooded, roads were severely damaged and the Scenic Highway was closed by a landslide after more than 500mm of rain fell on the shire in 48 hours.
Cr Ludwig said council was working overtime to address "priority danger areas".
Member for Capricornia Michelle Landry visited some of the hardest-hit areas on Saturday.
"There is certainly a lot of major damage.
"There are some areas they just can't access yet so we will have to wait and see what the damage is there.
"The water must have been so strong in some areas given the way that it has gouged up the roads."
The Livingstone Council will apply for disaster relief funding from both the state and federal governments.
Ms Landry said she had already been in discussions with Minister for Justice Michael Keenan and she would speak to him again to press Livingstone's case for funding.
She had also made Prime Minister Tony Abbott aware of the situation.
Cr Ludwig said a "long-term infrastructure solution" was needed for Statue Bay but he was hopeful the Scenic Hwy would re-open within a fortnight.
He said the focus was on finishing the recovery operation and looking at future solutions.
"It's been a great team effort from the council workforce, SES and all the state agencies involved,.
"The community has also clearly risen to the challenge as well."