Comets fired up for 2010
THE holiday is over and now the boys are back with a bit of unfinished business in mind.
The 2009 season was massive for the Central Queensland Comets with the team making it into the Queensland Cup finals for the first time.
While getting within one game of the grand final was a big effort, Wayne Barnett and his troops are now hungry for even greater success.
The journey began on Saturday morning.
“It was a big turnout,” Comets chief executive officer Scott Minto said.
Over 90 players from the top team and the two development squads (age group) were at Victoria Park for the first run of the season.
“Everyone did their testing,” he added.
“We went through the rules and set the boundaries for the players.”
Some players had been training while others had taken full advantage of the break but all participated in the “dreaded” Beep Test to provide an assessment of all players’ fitness.
The session was not an isolated get-together for the boys as the Comets backroom staff were overviewing the exercise with the workload building up from now until February.
“We’ll be training each Monday, Wednesday and Friday and some Saturdays and Sundays,” Minto said.
Last season the Comets were in great condition for the start of the fixtures and this helped the side get early points on the board to cushion a mid-season slump.
Minto believes the Comets will have greater player depth for the 2010 season.
“We will be pretty thick in all positions,” he said.
The chief executive officer believes players in all positions will be pushing hard to retain their spot in the run-on team.
One session into the new season and the icepacks were already in full use as one or two of the squad suffered the odd muscular twinge.
This season will be another first for the Comets as it will be operating its own gymnasium, giving Barnett another option for working his troops.