‘Common sense’ call over flying fox roost from Mirani MP

MIRANI MP Ted Malone wants to see a "commonsense solution" to the flying fox roost at Kabra.

He is confident that a reasonable compromise can be reached in terms of the requirements for a flying fox roost management permit.

The Rockhampton Regional Council needs the permit from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection if it is to disperse the roost, which is on 20private properties and State Government land.

"I am happy to have discussions with council, the Minister (Andrew Powell) and the department to see if we can come to some reasonable compromise in terms of the requirements," Mr Malone said yesterday.

The council resolved this week to apply for the permit only if it could recoup the costs involved.

It was told the costs could come in anywhere between $60,000 and $150,000 because a consultant would have to be engaged to meet the permit requirements.

Council CEO Evan Pardon said that flying foxes were still classified as protected wildlife in Queensland (rural and urban) and any dispersal had to be carried out according to a statutory code of practice.

The code identifies that dispersal actions can start after advice from a person knowledgeable about flying fox behaviour or with such a person present.

"Rockhampton Regional Council is unable to meet this criteria and, as no previous dispersal program has been implemented, a quote has been sourced from an external body," MrPardon said.

"This is to ensure that harm to flying foxes is minimised and appropriate welfare standards are upheld."



Bushfire risk home gets approval after two year fight

premium_icon Bushfire risk home gets approval after two year fight

Berserker foothills home gets preliminary approval

Local Labor savages the Coalition's energy policy changes

premium_icon Local Labor savages the Coalition's energy policy changes

With the LNP ringing in the changes, the ALP goes on the attack.

Fire crews rescue man after he wakes to smoke-filled CQ home

premium_icon Fire crews rescue man after he wakes to smoke-filled CQ home

SIMPLE kitchen mistake could have been a lot worse.

Local Partners