Queen Elizabeth II was home when a royal aide had coronavirus. Picture: Chris Jackson/Getty Images
Queen Elizabeth II was home when a royal aide had coronavirus. Picture: Chris Jackson/Getty Images

Coronavirus spreads to Buckingham Palace

A worker for the Queen at Buckingham Palace has contracted coronavirus.

They tested positive for the deadly virus while the monarch, 93, was still at the London residence.

The Queen was sent to Windsor Castle on Thursday soon after the diagnosis, and royal sources say she remains in good health.

The aide, who has not been named, fell ill and tested positive for the virus earlier last week.

Every member of Royal Household staff they came into contact with has since been placed in self-isolation.

It was not known how close the worker got personally to the Queen.

"The worker tested positive before the Queen left for Windsor. But the Palace has 500 members of staff so, like any workplace, it's not inconceivable it would be affected in some stage," a source told The Sun.

It is understood the staffer is recovering.

"We wouldn't comment on individual members of staff," a palace spokesman said.

"In line with the appropriate guidance and our own processes, we have taken the necessary actions to protect all employees and people involved."

A woman wearing a face mask walks past Buckingham Palace. Picture: Leon Neal/Getty Images
A woman wearing a face mask walks past Buckingham Palace. Picture: Leon Neal/Getty Images

The Queen is set to remain in Windsor for the foreseeable future with Prince Philip, 98.

She will give a morale-boosting add­ress on live TV to help steer the nation through the coronavirus crisis.

Royal aides have held talks with 10 Downing St about the timing of the intervention.

They believe a speech would be hugely important in calming anxiety and strengthening the will of the public to see their way through the dark days ahead.

"The voice of Her Majesty will provide calm reassurance that, ultimately, we will get through this," a source close to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.

This story originally appeared in The Sun and has been reproduced with permission

 

Originally published as Coronavirus spreads to Buckingham Palace



Letters: What is the future for the Aust War Memorial?

Premium Content Letters: What is the future for the Aust War Memorial?

Letters to the editor and Harry Bruce’s cartoon.

Coastal suburb records two $800,000+ sales to local buyers

Premium Content Coastal suburb records two $800,000+ sales to local buyers

The beachfront homes were two doors down from each other on the same street, with...

Transfer of GKI leases to Altum ‘will not occur’

Premium Content Transfer of GKI leases to Altum ‘will not occur’

Resources Minister Scott Stewart said that the Sunshine Coast property developer...